My 7 Summer Essentials:
- My Mother’s Day gift from the boys was something I’ve been pining over ever since I saw the infomercial: Bare Minerals foundation starter kit! Before this, I wore the cheapest-of-cheap drugstore makeup that I think most women stop subjecting their skin to when they turn 12. I love that the light, airy powder foundation lets my skin breathe. It’s perfect for summer, and the no parabens or phtalates is a huge plus. PS: The primer is awesome for helping the powder stay. I think I’m hooked!
- Sunglasses from the Jersey Shore. I am not kidding. They were $6 on the Atlantic City boardwalk. I usually go with the big Jackie-O shades, but these are fun and quirky and plastic and perfect for going to the wading pool with Joseph.
- In my attempt to start buying less-chemical-laden cosmetics, my latest Target trip landed me with Burt’s Bees Radiance Exfoliating Body Wash. The lather is so-so and the exfoliation is kind of weak, but it smells pretty and has lasted me a long time, and of course, it’s free of parabens, phthalates and petrochemicals.
- OK, clearly this nail color isn’t derived from natural ingredients. But the pretty magenta is so perfect for a warm-weather pedi, and Essie means it’ll last a full week on my hands without chipping, which is pretty miraculous. The color is “Big Spender” but you can nab it at Target or Wal-Mart for around $7.
- I’ve heard rave reviews of Born shoes, but I thought comfortable = ugly, until I happened upon these sandals at Marshall’s. Since I’m outside or on-the-go all day with an almost-two-year-old, my feet were starting to hurt in my $2 Old Navy flip-flops. These provide pillowy-goodness for my high arches and the aqua color is super perfect, especially against a summer glow.
- Everyone knows that makeup is fun, but it’s important to wash your face at the end of the day. And then you moisturize. Except for me, because I’m historically
lazy and cheaplow maintenance when it comes to a beauty regiment. These Yes to Blueberries Cleansing Facial Towelettes are a good cure-all for lazy ladies like me — they remove makeup and moisturize with one a few quick swipes, and a month’s supply is less than $10. Plus, the wipes are derived from 99 percent natural ingredients.
- I’ve been curious to see if Gud, the Burt’s Bees scented offshoot, is actually, well, good. When a coupon came my way, I opted for the Vanilla Flame scented body lotion. You guys, it just smells like summer. It brings me back to my life-guarding days. And it works well enough to moisturize my dark-skinned son, which earns it some major kudos.
So, tell me: What are YOUR girlie, kind-of-unnecessary essentials for this summer? And where I can score a good deal on them? ;)